Sterling Silver with Generous Layer of Gold Wash!!
Antique Bon Bon Spoon with No Monograms!!
Fine, Detailed Openwork Artwork!
Dress Up Any Silverware, Table, or Event
Dimensions: 4.25" L X 2" W
Weight: Approx. 18 grams
Gorham Standard of Quality
Hallmarks on reverse of handle is Gorham lion, anchor, and company insignias followed by "Sterling Pat. 1899"
This Gorham silverware in the Cambridge pattern is a fabulous butter cup, bon bon, and nut spoon that features a reticulated gold washed bowl. The handle is edged by flowers, leaves, and other details slightly reminiscent of a wreathlike repoussé design, mostly on the front and back of the handle. More gold wash is applied to the bottom of the handle at the point where it is attached to the bowl of the spoon. The openwork pattern of the reticulated bowl contrasts nicely with the pattern on the handle.
The gold wash design on this piece exudes a vintage charm, is absolutely essential to bring out the exquisite detail, and is a major design element. A regular silver cleaner might remove this plating material. Unless you prefer a monochromatic appearance, this pendant should only be cleaned with gentle cleaners that do not remove embossing or tarnish, as this would alter the appearance. A professional silverware cleaner could also assist with gentle cleaning as necessary.
This spoon was manufactured either in the Rhode Island or Birmingham, England factory of Gorham.
Gorham in England
a short excerpt from John Culme: "The Directory of Gold & Silversmiths, Jewellers and Allied Traders 1838-1914"
"Gorham products first appeared in England marketed by the agency John Henry Buck in 1894, ,then 1904 Gorham opened a showroom under the management of Abraham Cotton in London, in 1909 they took over a Birmingham factory, previously owned by Harry Emanuel and registered the above manufacturer's mark. . . Gorham maintained their Birmingham factory until WWI and was a large exhibitor at the Jewelers Exhibitions of 1913 and 1914."
From The Gorham Pocket Guide:
"The anchor was the symbol for Rhode Island, where Gorham was based. . .In 1868, Gorham adopted the sterling standard and any post-1868 item with the Lion Anchor G mark may be assumed to be sterling (or better)."
Gorgeous Filigree design in .925 Sterling Silver!
More on Gorham from Wikipedia:
The Gorham Manufacturing Company is one of the largest American manufacturers of sterling and silverplate and a foundry for bronze sculpture. Gorham Silver was founded in Providence, Rhode Island, 1831 by Jabez Gorham, a master craftsman, in partnership with Henry L. Webster. The firm's chief product was spoons of coin silver. The company also made thimbles, combs, jewelry, and other small items. In 1865, the Rhode Island legislature granted a charter in the name of Gorham Manufacturing Company and in 1890, the company relocated to a factory on Adelaide Avenue in Providence.
During the heyday of American silver manufacturing, approximately 1850 - 1940, Gorham was highly influential. William C. Codman, one of Gorham's most noted designers, created the Chantilly design in 1895, which has become the most famous of Gorham's flatware patterns. The company has produced matching hollowware in both sterling and silverplate.
In 1884, the company opened a store in the Ladies' Mile shopping district in Manhattan, New York City, but moved in 1905 to a Fifth Avenue building which it commissioned from architect Stanford White. In 1906, Gorham purchased another long-time rival, New Jersey-based Kerr & Co.
Gorham artisans also sculpted the famous monument of George Washington in the Capitol's Rotunda, the statue of Theodore Roosevelt that overlooks the Museum of Natural History in New York, and the famous Independent Man which tops the Rhode Island State House. Gorham designed a number of elaborate trophies for sporting events, including the Borg-Warner Trophy for the Indianapolis 500, designed by Robert J. Hill.
In 1886 a commentator wrote in the London Magazine of Art:
If we go to one of the first London silversmiths and ask for spoons and forks, we are met at once with the smiling query. "Yes, Sir; fiddle or old English?" Fiddle or old English! If we decline both those chaste designs we are assured that there is still a large selection of patterns remaining. The "Lily", the "Beaded", "King's Pattern", and "Queen's Pattern." There perforce, our choice must end....Mark the difference, in this one article, between the supine conservatism of the English manufacturers and the alertness and constant progress of the American maker. For instance [Gorham] would not be satisfied unless it produced every year or two new patterns, nearly all of which are beautiful, and of which they will produce a complete service of all articles for table use from a salt-spoon to a soup ladle.
In 1893, a French observer was surprised by America's "remarkable fertility in the variety of its patterns for table services." Of the flatware patterns designed by F. A. Heller (1839–1904) for Gorham he wrote "we have no idea of the richness of ornamentation of these services, and of the amount of talent expended by him in the engraving of the dies which he has made on the other side of the Atlantic."
Gorham as a Sculpture Foundry
In the early 1880s Gorham began casting ecclesiastical items, such as lecterns and in 1889 the cast its first statue, The Skirmisher by Frederick Kohlhagen, located at Gettysburg National Military Park. In 1896, its casting of W. Granville Hastings bust, Judge Carpenter was the first in America using the lost-wax casting method. The foundry went on to become one of the leading art foundries in the United States. The Smithsonian archives of American art list Gorham foundry over 700 times in its inventory of American sculpture.
NOTE: This listing includes only the bon bon spoon. Other items pictured for illustration purposes only and sold separately if still available.